Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cubing Exercise

Generalizing-
I have learned that the food from most fast-food restaurants is very unhealthy for a person. To reflect that upon society, look around and notice the number of overweight people you see. Also, the advertising schemes present today are more dynamic than ever. The need for buyers is a lot greater than it was in the past. Family life is also a big concern with more and more events that can take over a person's life.
Giving Examples-
Not one "family" showed up the entire time I was in McDonald's. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't have one, but there is a good chance that alot of them had a spouse or children that weren't with them. Also, there were 2 overweight people that came in during my time there, suggesting that they don't have a healthy lifestyle and that McDonald's was contributing to that.
Comparing and Contrasting-
I could compare my subject with Yoga Class. Yoga is a way of slimming down, as well as doing something you like. Eating is something I happen to like, so I go to places like McDonald's often. The difference would be that McDonald's more than likely helps you gain weight while Yoga would help you lose it. Both have advertising schemes as well; for members or for purchasers.
Extending-
I think this subject leads to concerns about people's diets. Looking at nutritional facts from foods offered by McDonald's, it is obvious that a regular intake of these foods could be dangerous. With "SuperSize Me" being a great example, this type of food could even cause death.
Analyzing-
There are 3 main parts of my subject: Advertising, Family Life, and Health. In this case, the advertising is related to the yearning of a person to by McDonald's food. This is the health part; eating food that isn't good for you. The family life aspect is a sort of break in this but still is a focal point because this relates to today's society.
Applying-
There are two ways I can use this work. I think the first way I can use this is making this paper available for people to access. By blogging in our Eng001 class, this is accomplished, as anyone can look at and read this essay. Secondly, in our peer-to-peer review sessions, my classmates will have a chance to read this as well.

No comments: