Sunday, September 21, 2008

Blog 5



Have you ever felt like there was someone out there, exactly like you in almost every single way? Like maybe you have a clone? Well my life has been that way for almost 19 years. That’s right, I’m a twin! I will tell you what it is like to be one and all the ups and downs of it as well.
When I tell you that I am a twin, a lot of things probably come into your mind. For example, you might ask “Do they wear the same clothes?” or “I wonder if their parents ever mix them up?” or “Can they read each other’s minds?” Well to answer those questions, most of the time we don’t wear the same clothes, and if we do, it is usually for an event of some sort. Our parents have mixed us up quite a bit, however it is usually over the phone or when our backs are turned on them. As far as reading each other’s minds, we do tend to think along the same lines, and if someone says something that has an event/memory attached to it, we look at each other and it clicks, but of course a lot of people can do that so I guess that’s not so special!
Growing up and progressing through school, a lot of adults and people I didn’t know would see us and proclaim how much Jay (obviously my brother) and I look alike. Some people might think that would get frustrating, and sometimes it did. However, we didn’t think making a big deal out of every incident would be nice and we learned to just shrug it off. Once we entered junior high, all of our friends were able to tell us apart, as were most of the teachers. Only when we were in activities and sports would people come and ask if we were twins. Now that we are in college (at different schools) it is fun to say that we have a twin and who knows? One day it could be him walking to class instead of me and no one would know the difference!
Being a twin, although it can be a pain sometimes, is one of the best things about my life. Spending lots of time with him means he is considered one of my best friends, and I am pretty sure I wouldn’t trade him for anything!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Aw Josh is a twin! There's two of you? That could be scary! I liked this blog post because I can sort of relate to twins. My best friend and ex boyfriend was a twin and it was not always easy! Like you mentioned before, some people say they can't tell you apart and make a big deal out of it. That always happens to my friend. People swear they can't tell them apart, and I admit that at first, they only way I could tell the difference was by their shoes. One wore gray and one wore white, but after the 3rd time of seeing them, I could instantly tell which was which. Even now, I can tell they are even if they aren't facing me, and over the phone I can tell the difference. It just depends how long you are around someone. I bet at first I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between you and Jay, but if I saw you two together once or twice, I would be able to tell. Especially since I now know you are the taller twin! It would be cool to have someone that was born at the exact same time as you, because like you said, he will always be there. You were like born and a best friend was included in the package deal. I'm sure you might fight occassionally because if you didn't I would defninitely think that's weird, but no matter what you two are friends. I would also think it was probably tough being seperated after high school, both going to seperate colleges, but now you have a new identity. Most people don't know you as a twin anymore, they just know you as Josh. In my mind, that is not exactly a bad thing. My friend is going to the exact same college as his twin, they are almost in the same classes, and they see each other multiple times a week. So in a way, I think you will benefit more from being distant, plus it might make you two even more closer, not that you can get much closer than looking exactly like someone else!